Honda Unveils World Premiere of Future Advanced Safety Technologies to Achieve Goal of Zero Fatalities by 2050
■Achievement of “zero fatal road accidents by 2050”
In pursuit of a collision-free society for all who share the road, represented by the global safety slogan “Safety for All”, Honda has continued to research and develop safety technologies from a hardware and software perspective. .
In pursuit of a collision-free society, Honda will extend the introduction of Honda SENSING 360, a recently announced omnidirectional safety and driver assistance system, to all models that go on sale in all major markets in the world. ‘by 2030. In addition, Honda will continue to work on extend the application of a motorcycle detection function and further improve the functions of its ADAS (advanced driving assistance system).
In addition, Honda will also continue to make progress in expand the application of motorcycle safety technologies and offer safety education technologies (Honda Safety EdTech). Through these initiatives, Honda will strive to halving the number of fatalities in road crashes involving Honda motorcycles and automobiles* 2 by 2030.
Beyond that, Honda will strive to meet its ambitious goal of “zero fatal traffic accidents by 2050” through the implementation of future safety technologies as soon as possible.
■1) Safety adapted to everyone:
Aim for “zero human error” in driving with “intelligent driver assistance technology”
- Honda unraveled the factors behind human errors with its original fMRI* 3-Study based on the human brain and analysis of risky behavior.
- The system presumes predictors of driving errors based on information obtained from a driver surveillance camera and a diagram of driving operations.
- This technology is developed to allow every driver to mitigate driving errors and enjoy mobility without any feeling of anxiety.
- Honda will strive to establish underlying technologies in the first half of the 2020s, with practical application in the second half of the 2020s.
In an effort to unravel the underlying causes of driver errors that make the driver anxious, Honda has researched and developed “technologies for understanding people” with a novel method that uses fMRI.* 3.
In addition to the technologies for understanding human behavior and conditions, which Honda has accumulated to date, the “intelligent driver assistance technology” unveiled today, the the world’s first such technology, uses ADAS sensors and cameras to recognize potential hazards in the vehicle environment, allowing AI to detect driving risks. At the same time, the AI will determine the optimal driving behavior in real time and offer assistance adapted to the cognitive state and traffic situations of each driver.
With the next generation driver assistance functions currently under research and development, Honda will strive to deliver the new value of “error-free” safety and peace of mind tailored to each driver’s behavior and driving situation and keep them away from any potential risk.
??Three values Honda will offer with its next-generation driver assistance technology??
- 1.No driving errors (Operational assist):
The vehicle offers AI-based assistance to reduce drift and avoid delay in operations.
- 2.No forgetting / No prediction errors (Cognitive assist): The vehicle communicates the risks with visual, tactile and auditory sensations.
➣Technologies in R&D phase: Risk indicator, seat belt control and 3D audio
- 3.No errors due to daydreaming and reckless driving (Attention assistance): the vehicle helps reduce driver fatigue / drowsiness
➣Technologies in the R&D phase: biological feedback / vibratory stimulus through the seat back
From now on, Honda advancing the “intelligent driver assistance technology” unveiled today and continue to progress in development with the aim of establish underlying technologies in the first half of the 2020s, then run practical applications during the second half of the 2020s.
With this technology, Honda will advance conventional driver assistance which helps the driver avoid risks while it occurs to the AI powered driver assistance which will move the driver away from risks and strive to completely eliminate human error, which is the cause of over 90% of road crashes* 4.
■2) Safe coexistence of all road users:
Establishment of “Safe and Sound Network Technology” which connects all road users by telecommunications
- The system understands / recognizes the situation and environment of each driver and road user
- Through the communication network, information about the potential risks in the traffic environment will be aggregated in the server, and the risks are predicted using the reproduction of the traffic environment in the virtual space.
- The system obtains the most appropriate support information, communicates it to every road user, and encourages them to take action to avoid potential risks before they actually happen.
- Honda will accelerate industry-wide and public-private collaboration with the goal of standardizing technology in the second half of the 2020s.
To achieve a “collision-free” mobility society for all road users, Honda strives to achieve a “cooperative safety society” where the use of telecommunication technologies will enable all who share the road to be connected and coexist.
With “safe and healthy technology”, the information about the potential risks in the traffic environment, which is detected on the basis of the information obtained from the road cameras, on-board cameras and smartphones, will be aggregated in the server to reproduce this traffic environment in the virtual space. In this virtual space, taking into account the conditions and characteristics of each road user, the system predicts / simulates the behavior of road users at high risk of collision. Then the system derives the most appropriate support information to help road users avoid risks.
This support information will be communicated intuitively to motorists, motorcyclists and pedestrians through a “cooperative risk HMI (man-machine interface)” this will allow the system to encourage road users to take action to avoid a collision before it occurs.
With the aim of implementing this technology in the real world after 2030, Honda build the system and complete the effectiveness check in the first half of the 2020s,then accelerate industry-wide and public-private collaboration to standardize technology in the second half of the 2020s.
■Comments from Keiji Ohtsu, President and Representative Director of Honda R&D Co., Ltd. :
“By striving to completely eliminate mobility risks for all who share the road, Honda will offer the safety and peace of mind of every road user as a new value. By applying our future safety technologies that will embody this new value, Honda will strive to achieve “zero road collision fatalities” involving Honda motorcycles and automobiles globally by 2050. Achieving a free society collision where all road users care about each other and freedom of mobility becomes possible, we will further accelerate our sectoral and public-private initiatives.
- * 1Honda internal research
- * 2Reduce by 50% the number of road collision fatalities involving Honda motorcycles and automobiles per 10,000 units sold by 2030 compared to 2020.
- * 3Functional magnetic resonance imaging, fMRI (One of the methods of obtaining images of functioning areas of the brain based on changes in blood flow.)
- * 4Source: “Number of fatalities in traffic accidents by type of violation of laws”, White Paper on Road Safety in Japan 2017
THE SOURCE: Honda